Chetham’s School of Music has teamed up with BBC Radio Manchester to unearth Manchester’s favourite song of the past 50 years. Once voted by the public, the top tune will then be one of the items buried in a time capsule under the new state-of-the-art £36million School Building.
Music fans from across Manchester will be tasked with selecting their top five memorable Manchester songs by fellow Mancunian artists.
The campaign is being launched to help raise awareness of Chetham’s £1million ‘Raise the Roof’ appeal that has been launched to secure the School’s future as a world class centre of musical excellence.
Initial construction works have started for the development of the New School Building, and will provide 21st Century music and academic facilities for the 290 students at the School and fabulous facilities for community music making, including a full orchestral auditorium with 400 seats.
With voting kicking off on 10th May, ‘mad for it’ Oasis groupies and manband loving Take That fans will have just under two weeks to land their bands the top spot. Voters will have the chance of choosing from the specially selected list before the closing date of 21st May.
Tune in to BBC Radio Manchester on Monday 24th May for a week long rundown of the top five songs leading up to the number one slot being announced on 28th. The song voted favourite to champion Manchester will then receive a celebratory time capsule burial ceremony at the new site on the day.
The top 25 songs vying for the top spot are:
• The Mindbenders - Groovy kind of Love
• Freddie and The Dreamers - I'm telling you now
• Oasis - Wonderwall
• Joy Division - Love will tear us apart
• Stone Roses - Fools gold
• Happy Mondays - Step on
• Bee Gees - Night fever
• 10c.c. - I’m not in love
• Simply Red - Holding back the years
• M People - Moving on up
• Hollies - He ain’t heavy he’s my brother
• Hermans Hermits – I’m into something good
• New Order - Blue Monday
• Ting Tings - That’s not my name
• Elkie Brooks - Pearl's a singer
• Take That - Patience
• David Gray - Babylon
• Lisa Stansfield - All around the world
• Badly Drawn Boy - Something to talk about
• Elbow - One day like this
• Verve - Bittersweet symphony
• inspiral Carpets - This is how it feels
• Sweet Sensation - Sad sweet dreamer
• The Smiths - Heaven Knows I’m miserable now
• Thin Lizzy - Boys are back in town